Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Day of Classes

Today, Thursday, was the first day of classes here at the Kartause. My first class was French Revolution and Nineteenth Century Europe taught by Fr. Seraphim Beshoner. One of the unique things about studying in Europe is that Fr. Seraphim was able to assign us a project which requires visiting a historic site, I'm hoping to go to Versailles - the palace of King Louis the Sixteenth and Marie Antoinette.

After class Amy and I met up with Katie at the Chapel for Mass. This was the first opportunity I'd had to see the Kartause Chapel and it was beautiful! We are going on a tour of the Kartause on Sunday so expect pictures sometime after that.

Following Mass we had lunch - Austrian hot dogs wrapped in bacon! I never thought I would say this but it was actually too much meat for me.

After lunch I grabbed my books and headed to Theology of the Church with Professor Robert Cassidy. Amy and I had this class together. Upon entering we discovered that our friend Ari was also in the class with us. And then, a few minutes before class begin Katie came in sat down next to me and said "I heard this professor's Scottish so I'm waiting for him to open his mouth!" At which time he promptly began speaking . . . in the most amazing Scottish accent ever! He gave about a half hour rousing introductory speech to the course (it reminded us of Braveheart) in which he informed us that this class is part of a journey toward sainthood ". . . and so we begin . . . with a syllabus!" Was the wonderful ending to this wonderful speech. Yeah - it's gonna be a great class!

Following Theology of the Church I moved to the front row of the same classroom to sit with Ari and our friend Sarah during Philosophy of the Human Person with Professor Maria Wolter who is also amazing! Philosophy usually frightens me but she just made it so cool and oh my gosh I can't wait to get started!!!! And it's philosophy of the human person which I didn't really know what that meant before tonight but it's basically what it says it's philosophy about the human person and the dignity of the human person so it's a totally pro-life class so I'm soooooooooo excited!!!!!!!

I then returned to the back of the same classroom to sit with my friends Maude and Sarah during Intro to Scripture, also with Professor Cassidy. He gave another, different, rousing speech for this class.

Finally classes were done and Ari and I headed into Gaming so I could get some euro's (european money) and she could stop at the spar (pronounced shpar) which is the grocery store. I've spent most of the rest of the evening arguing with the wireless and my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment