Monday, April 12, 2010

" . . . I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life"



We walked out of our cabin Saturday morning and discovered that Grindelwald is GORGEOUS! We had not been able to tell the night before because it was so dark but the town is completely surrounded by incredibly beautiful mountains!

We had a lovely little breakfast at our hostel: cereal and some delicious soft bread smothered in orange marmalade! I then had a few minutes to e-mail my family and let them know how I was doing before we headed down to the tourist office to find out what there was to do in Grindelwald. The woman in the office directed us to a free hiking trail along the river. Before heading out, however, we stopped at the coop to grab the necessities for a picnic lunch by the river.

We then headed down, taking tons of pictures along the way! We reached the river and it was lovely! There was even an adorable little bridge across a babbling brook that flowed into the river! And there were cows! We were always very excited when we saw animals!

So we followed the path along the river until we came to one point at which we decided to climb down the rocky riverbank and dip our toes in the river. The water was FREEZING!!!! But it was so much fun! We spent about a half hour just climbing along the riverbank and I got to live my dream of being Pocahontas! Ever since I was little I used to dream about doing crazy stuff like climbing along riverbanks and I would even pretend that my hallway was a river and I would jump across it but I never thought I'd get to climb around an actual river! So i got really into it, to the point that I actually managed to fall in twice! I wanted to get to the other side of the river but there was no way I could manage it so that didn't happen.

We continued along the river a little farther until we came to a spot that seemed like a good place for a picnic! So we sat down and puled out our bread, grapes, pistachios, potato chips, and chocolate bars and had a lovely picnic by the riverside. I decided that I'm going to continue having picnics over the summer! They're just so lovely!

We then headed around the river and back toward Grindelwald. Maude and I began singing the song Landslide and then Maude was like "I don't think we're singing the same song." And I was like What are you talking about of course we're singing the same song! And she was like "Who does the song you're singing?" And I was like "Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac." And she was like "Oh thank goodness, I was afraid you were gonna say the Dixie Chicks!" Hahaha The song Remembering You by Steven Curtis Chapman also came into my head and Time of Your Life by Greenday. Disclaimer: I am not a fan of Greenday. However, the three lines of that song: "It's something unpredictable/But in the end it's right/I hope you had the time of your life" just totally described this weekend for me! Hence the titles of these blog posts. We even got to frolic in a field on our way back to Grindelwald!

We then took a train to Interlocken which was ok but not as cool as Zermatt and Grindelwald. We walked down the main street and then attempted to find the lake but to no avail. We did find several rivers though so that was cool. We then stopped at a kiosk and got sandwiches and ice cream for dinner. We then took the train to Zurich and then got on a train to St. Polten on which we actually got a compartment all to ourselves! And yet I still didn't get a good night's sleep. Alas. But I took a nice long nap when we got back to the Kartause. And that was Switzerland!

No comments:

Post a Comment